2013 AATH Conference Special E-Zine
Dear Friends of AATH,
Surf’s up…are you amped and aggro for the ginchiest great time carving with smiles & laughs???....Ready for an epic, choka clean up set of chuckles that will have you hollering ‘shakka, dudes!’ as you kick out the gnarly bummers wiping you out? This conference 2013 special edition E-Zine will have you sing ‘cowabunga‘ until the conference begins in San Diego on April 4th …so get stoked for this heaviest, happiest, learningest time of the year! If you are an old-school AATH conference go-er, then you know exactly the party wave I’m talking about…if you are a frube and haven’t attended before, AKAW!…you have a rad & sick going off for April 4-7. Get out your board shorts and hang ten (or eleven), pop-up, rock dance, shove-it, turtle roll, kick flip, or beach break it to the Xtreme AATH Conference 2013 hanging loose in San Diego. Don’t be a kook…check out the hecka presenter links below that will have you lining up!
Cheri Gidget Campbell,
Editor; former AATH Ezine
Glossary: for newbie surfer dudes
Live by this credo: have a little laugh at life and look around you for happiness instead of sadness. Laughter has always brought me out of unhappy situations.
AATH MEMBERS in the NEWS: Spotlight on 2013 Conference Presenters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hurray for our fabulous conference Chair: Jill Knox who with help from the conference committee & our rockin’ AATH staff have produced the 2013 Conference in San Diego that will deliver the PERFECT WAVE!
Thursday, April, 4, 2013
4:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Orient Express - Laughter-filled Welcome Session for all new members and first time conference attendees. WELCOME!
6:30 PM – 7:30 PM
Welcome Reception meet & greet us
7:30 PM – 9:00 PM
Humor Jams AATH's got talent
No matter what your heartache may be, laughing helps you forget it for a few seconds.
Friday, April 5, 2013
8:00 AM – 8:30 AM
General Session: Welcome From El Presidente Chip Lutz
8:30 AM – 9:30 AM
Keynote – “How Your Personal Mess is Someone’s Message”, - Judy Carter
In this hilarious new keynote presentation, Judy Carter illustrates how the worst messes of our lives, not only contain a message of inspiration, but can be turned into comedy gold. Carter’s “mess-into-success” presentation is LOL funny AND gives audience members specific skill-building tips on how to turn their problems into punch lines and make a living as a paid professional speaker. As Carter says, “Speak your message and change lives… including your own.”
9:30 AM – 9:45 AM
Break Surfs Up!
9:45 AM – 10:45 AM
Keynote – "We Gotta Fail…To Succeed!", Milo Shapiro focuses on risk-taking and our attitude toward what failure really is (versus what we turn it into). Through stories and interactive improv games from 18+ years of improvisation work, Milo leads attendees in recognizing where they may be holding themselves back...and cheating themselves and their organizations of their brilliance! The games also bring awareness to issues of communication.
10:50 AM – 11:00 AM
Break: Get in the swim!
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
• “New Frontiers in Laughter” , -Albert Nerenberg Detailed description will be posted @ AATH website soon.
• “How to Get an F in Laughter”, -Sporty King
Sporty will transfer creative mindsets and deliver an inspirational, interactive and empowering look at the Five F's participants can use to share their laughter during tough times. We will use a fun team exercise that can be duplicated at the office, center, hospital, school... Attendees will be inspired to continue to Find happiness within themselves; Focus on their health; have Fun; keep the Faith; make Friends; and Free their minds. Oops, that's 6! Not really. I'm not finished giving out F's.
• “Happy People Don’t Get Sick: The Link Between Joy and Health”, Patricia Raymond , MD, FACG
Doctor Deepak Chopra writes: “Most people say that they would be happy IF they were healthy. The truth is, that if they WERE happy, they WOULD be healthy.” The distinguished Doctor Seuss agrees, saying: “In my world, everyone’s a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” Are YOU a pony? Or just someone who wishes they could be both happier and healthier? Today we’ll explore the science of happiness— whether you are born with a happiness set point, and whether you can alter your happiness level without winning the ‘Mega-Millions’ lottery. We’ll discover the physiological effects of happiness on the body, what diseases are helped with laughter, and the few that are actually worsened by a good guffaw.
12:15 PM – 1:30 PM
Fiesta Lunch… OLE! & Research Poster
Mauldin , RN,
MSN, CPN, MT (ASCP)
• Gurinder Singh Bains MD, PhDc
• Alyssa Frederick
of Zurich (Switzerland)
• Anthony Biduck, M.A.
1:45 PM – 2:45 PM
• “Your Life is a Joke! Getting Laughs with your Life Story” Judy Carter Judy Carter
The story of your journey from "Mess to Success" can not only inspire others, but get laughs if you know some comedy formulas. In this workshop Judy Carter, the Goddess of Comedy, will show you how to turn your Eureka Moments into comedy gold.
• Switcheroo: Have I Got A Song for You!” , Catherine Sembert, RN
- In this session we will take familiar easy tunes and change the words to make them hilarious. The process itself can be lots of fun. Catherine especially likes to use serious subjects to make fun of (aging, motherhood, marriage, illness), anyone can do it. It is amazing what can come out when a group accesses its improvisational skills. Everyone will leave the session with a new song to sing. This can really build confidence as it brings out the witness in all of us.
• “What’s Droll About Dementia?” ,Kathy Laurenhue
When people develop dementia, they lose much more than their memory, but amazingly, they retain their sense of humor. This presentation focuses on how to tap into a healthy expression of humor to enhance the well being of both the people with dementia and their caregivers. Healthy humor helps us to belong, to fit into a group. It overcomes isolation, builds trust, and renews hope that we can cope.
2:45 PM – 3:15 PM
Transition Break: Get Down!
3:15 PM – 4:15 PM
• Public Speaking: Get A's, Not Zzzzzz's!", Milo Shapiro Milo Shapiro
With his playful, story-filled approach, Milo covers these topics and more: capturing the power of story to make points sizzle,setting the stage with your body to help people visualize,the Seven Variants of Vocal Variety™, the Four Stages to Successful Speech Structure™ , common ways that we alienate / distract our audiences, taking control of Q&A Full of fun and loaded with juicy aha's to avoid learner burnout
• Laugh Your Fat Off, – The Role of Humor in Weight Management Heidi Hanna, PhD
Traditional dieting and exercise can increase the stress response, making sustainable weight loss nearly impossible. Relaxation and laughter have been shown to help support healthy behaviors by increasing positive energy, thereby eliminating the energy deficit that often triggers survival based behaviors such as overeating and a sedentary lifestyle. Specific weight management strategies that incorporate humor, positive emotion and social connection will be discussed and incorporated into a Laugh Your Fat Off tool-kit.
• Cooperative Games, Initiatives and Activities To Promote Engagement, Learning, Smiles and Functional Forwardness, Robert Valle - There are two goals – to learn and to have fun. This Presentation will have participants learn activities they can utilize in their area of meeting students, clients, and working with people. Session participants will learn by doing and while 100% participation is requested all activities will be 100% “challenge by choice” and participants can choose their level of involvement. With only 1 hour of presentation time, this time will be limited to play (defined differently dependent on group involved) and leaving only a few minutes for debriefing and offering options for reflection, processing and connection making.
4:15 PM – 4:30 PM
Break: Who you gonna call?
4:30 PM – 5:30 PM
Keynote: You Must Remember This: The Power And Joy of Remembered Laughter, Don Baird. Psy.D- Each year at the AATH banquet, Don has paid memorial tribute to friends of humor and laughter. This year, in this special presentation, he pays honor to others who brought so much laughter to him, to us, and to the world, to demonstrate that even remembered humor and laughter from the past have a powerful effect in the here-and-now! Remembered laughter offers its creator a kind of immortality and its recipient a joyful release from current suffering. Participants will have an opportunity to remember, share and take renewed pleasure from their own memories of those who brought laughter to their lives.
6:15 PM – 7:00 PM
Cocktail Reception: Cheers!
7:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Awards Dinner: EPIC !
Annual Memorial Tribute by Don Baird, PhD
Special 100th Birthday Tribute to Red Skelton
Red Skelton Museum of American Comedy
All men make mistakes, but married men find out about them sooner.
Saturday, April 6, 2013
8:00 AM – 8:30 AM
General Session – Welcome & Announcements
8:30 AM – 9:30 AM
Keynote: Happiness and Humor: Two Estranged Relatives, Matthew Della Porta, PhD- Using his background in positive psychology (particularly in happiness-boosting activities), Dr. Della Porta will review the relationship between happiness and humor. The mood-boosting effects of laughter and smiling will be discussed, as well as the theoretical importance of incorporating humor into one's daily life.
9:45 AM – 10:45 AM
Keynote: Emergence--After 2012—What’s Next?, Howard Martin-A new world is birthing itself in the midst of the old one. It is a world based on new values and new intelligence and despite the many challenges we face it offers the promise of a more fulfilling future. It is a world fueled by the intelligence of the heart. The much anticipated year, 2012, is past and we are now tasked with taking our hopes, dreams and ideas forward in a practical way. It’s now our time to answer the call. Join Howard Martin, co-author, The HeartMath Solution, Executive Vice President, HeartMath and steering committee member of the Global Coherence Initiative, for this up-lifting program. You’ll hear about keys to the next phase of planetary evolution and learn how to take your wisdom and awareness to new levels that allow you to be a true custodian of the planet and its future.
10:45 AM – 11:00 AM
Break: All in the game...
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
• Necessary Roughness: New Rules for the Contact Sport of Negotiating, Mimi Donaldson- Successful negotiations are crucial in today’s hard-fought personal and professional success. Negotiating in changing times is a question of ability. Master negotiators are not born – they are skilled. Mimi, the author of the new book, Necessary Roughness: New Rules for the Contact Sport of Life, uses football, the ultimate team game, to highlight the skills you need in every negotiation.
• Laughter and Tears: Expressive Meditation, Pragito Dove, MA, CCH- Re-ignite your passion for work and play. Unleash your creative fire. Tap your sense of humor at will. Open your heart to love, happiness and wealth. Revitalize your energy and well-being. Sound good? It gets even better. Come see how our experiential workshop improves your personal and professional life! You’ll experience the powerful and playful laughter meditation that unlocks your authentic spirited self. Also practice the tears meditation which deepens your capacity to heal and transform your grief and pain into emotional stillness, love, and wisdom. Perfect for anyone in high stress situations, including nurses, therapists, physicians, professional or family caregivers. De-stress and teach others how, too.
• Homegrown Humor: Prospecting Your Past To Uncover Humorous Story Treasures, Craig Harrison- You've got stories! Some you remember, some you forgot, and others are tragedies you can finally laugh about. Prospect your past for humorous personal stories for your keynotes, ice-breakers, workshops, training, coaching, and consulting. Identify universal truths within stories from childhood, school, travels and past work experiences to share from the platform, classroom or virtually. These stories, uniquely yours, work in speeches, comedy bits, and sets! This interactive, fast-paced session will set your stories free!
12:15 PM – 1:30 PM
Lunch and Annual Business Meeting
1:30 PM – 3:00 PM
Join the Clown on Down Experience- Off Site Program
1:45 PM – 2:45 PM
• Laughter is in the Details, Matthew Della Porta, PhD- In this session Dr. Della Porta will review techniques for finding humor in everyday situations. Beginning with a review of the happiness-related benefits of humor and laughter, the session will then focus on mindful observation and how it can be used to more carefully examine a mundane experience. By focusing on the details that we often don't notice, session attendees will come away with a better understanding of how to find humor in the places we least expect to find it.
• Starting and Running an On-Going Humor Support Group, Linda MacNeal- Of course you’ve all heard of Book Clubs whose members get together to discuss books. Well, did you ever think to start a Humor Club where people gather to learn to add more humor to their lives? I did. And it proved so useful that I have continued to implement programs at several corporations as well. In this breakout session, I will give you: • Sample agendas for meetings • Specific meeting content and sample assignments • Rationale for each element of a typical meeting Developing new habits takes time and attention, that’s why this structure works so well. Humor Clubs really do change lives. I’m so grateful that it transformed mine!
• Seeing Demise Thru Humorous Eyes, Allen Klein– Death and dying situations are not funny. Still comedians, cartoonists, and cinematographers show us that it is possible to laugh during times of loss. In doing so they not only help us get a different perspective on our situation but also help us get the upper hand on the inevitable. In other words, through laughter comedians, cartoonists, and cinematographers show us that death doesn’t have to be such a grave matter.
2:45 PM – 3:00 PM
Break: New School
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
• Activating the Heart’s Intelligence Activating the Heart’s Intelligence, Howard Martin- Activating the Heart’s Intelligence is an energizing and up-lifting session that incorporates HeartMath’s innovative understanding about the heart’s role in accessing the new awareness and intelligence that is emerging on our planet. You’ll learn about break-through research on human performance, techniques needed to improve your health and well-being, and how to greatly increase your ability to affect global change.
• What to Know Before, During, & After Writing Your Book, Kelly Epperson Simmons- Many first-time authors make the birthing of their book harder than it needs to be. It doesn’t have to take 9 months and it doesn’t have to be painful! We’ll cover the very first steps you need to know - your WHO and your WHY - and we’ll discuss the HOW TO of getting your book into the world, and all the ways a book creates opportunities for you, even before it’s written.
• “Teaching the Tricks of The Trade”, Mark Collier- Attendees of this breakout session will be able to demonstrate and teach several magic tricks and sight gags. This will be a very hands-on workshop with 100% participation. This workshop will give participants not just knowledge but practical skills in magic, and comedy. The lessons are modular, accommodating all skill levels with the emphasis on not just being able to perform the stunts but to teach them as well.
4:00 PM – 4:15 PM
4:15 PM – 5:15 PM
Keynote: “The Laughing Brain”, Albert Nerenberg
5:30 PM – 6:30 PM
Laughter Contest- Facilitated by Albert Nerenberg
Explore San Diego’s Best !
My wife told me the car wasn't running well because there was water in the carburetor. I asked where the car was. She told me, “In the lake.”
Sunday, April 7, 2013
8:00 AM – 9:00 AM
Breakfast: All Scrambled Up in San Diego Sponsored by Cheryl Fell, RN-BC "Nurse FUNshine" whose sunnyside is always up!
General Session – Welcome & Announcements
Humor Academy Level II Project Application Presentations
9:15 AM – 10:15 AM
Keynote: Research Update Panel – The Funny Thing About Research Is...., Gurinder Bains MD, PhD & Lee Berk DrPH, MPH - Moderated by Dr. Joyce Saltman -Join our leading experts, Lee Berk Ph.D. and Gurinder Bains MD., for an enlightening panel discussion facilitated by Joyce Saltman Ph.D. They will be sharing the most current research in the field of psychoneuroimmunology. There will be time for questions and answers.
10:15 AM – 10:30 AM
10:30 AM – 11:30 AM
Keynote: Make the Whole World Smile; The Bucks Come Shining Through, Mimi Donaldson– Mimi’s presentations are based on years of corporate experience training managers and employees to build successful teams and communicate with trust. She has the extraordinary gift of demonstrating how to “find the funny” while delivering solid content. She will deliver this topic setting up the audience to watch it with “two heads”, first for the actual content and second, how humor can be added to increase your connection with the audience and hence, your profit. The audience gets the benefit immediately and can apply and jump start any of their marketing presentations.
11:30 AM – 12:00 PM
Good and Welfare Final Wrap-up
Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos. ~Charles M. Schulz
12:00 PM-2:00PM Humor Academy Member’s Graduation, Lunch, Levels I, II, III meet.
Heard about the young deaf boy who used sign language? One day he told his mother a dirty joke and she washed his hands out with soap.
Say goodnight, Gracie.